Tuesday, June 24, 2008

On the Eve of Adventure

"And then it was Summer, warm, beautiful Summer." - Hans Christian Anderson
And what a summer it promises to be! Our wedding, Fairyland and a honeymoon in Africa - three dreams come true all rolled into one unforgettable summer. The adventure begins tomorrow when we start our drive up to Yellowstone with a stop in Park City.
I don't know which to be most excited about! Our wedding confirms something that Jeff and I have known for the past 8 years. It will be so nice having everyone in Yellowstone together. I'm excited to have everyone see where I'm from and share Yellowstone, a place dear to my heart.
I've been dreaming and obsessing over making it to Fairyland Geyser Basin ever since the place slipped through my fingers twice last summer. It's something only another adventurer or explorer can really understand. The place is truly mythical, guarded by cliffs, canyons and waterfalls, seen only by soaring ravens and the few adventurers brave enough to find their way there. It is my Lost World, my Garden of Eden, my Shangri-la. A place that mostly exists in dreams.
And then there's Africa. As a child I could think of nothing more exciting than tracking lions across the Kalahari. I was glued to PBS shows like Nature, watching cheetahs fly past in pursuit of gazelle. From a very young age I knew that I really wanted to go there, not just see it on NOVA. Now here's my chance!
So here's to the Summer of Dreams Come True. I couldn't be happier!

No comments: