Friday, March 4, 2011

WARNING: Illustration Friday

Three-legged frogs, disappearing honeybees; are these warnings of a natural world that is falling apart? This is my first triangular tessellation and it was quite a challenge! It took some serious brain crunching to think through the rotations. I did it in watercolor pencil and black marker. After an afternoon spent doing simple tessellations with my 5th grade students, I decided to try something more challenging on my own. I made the original three frogs and copied and rotated them in PhotoShop. It's not perfect, there are some gaps where it doesn't quite match up, but I'm still pretty happy with it!

5 comments:

Mindful Drawing said...

Very well done. Much nicer than Escher's grim tessellations: friendlier colours and cute bees.
Paula

Fallingladies said...

love it!, but way too complicated for what I could concentrate on...

Juliana Fonseca said...

Very beautiful colored pencil

Indigene said...

Beautiful combination of colors and pencil work!

Linda Hensley said...

Nice! Good message, nice colors.