Sunday, August 7, 2011

Found: Dragon in My Yard


If you can ID this dragonfly (found in Dallas, TX),
please comment.

Last night Jeff called me out to see this dragonfly. He found it flailing around, unable to fly, but with no apparent injuries. It was almost four inches long and beautiful shades of yellow-green, turquoise and blue-violet. Since it couldn't fly, I decided to bring it in for the night. I left it in a box with holes in my studio. This morning I took it outside to test its wings. It flopped onto its back and buzzed around on its head again. I really didn't think he would make it so I set him in the sun to take some photos. I took this photo, and before I could take another, he zoomed off. I looked up and saw him over the house. He hovered for a moment and then shot out into the wild blue yonder.

No comments: