Thursday, June 21, 2007

Solstice

Whoopee! There is now a Wapiti Internet connection! Wapiti is my dorm. Sometimes I just call it Elk, no one is sure how Wapiti is pronounced.
I got off at 3 pm today and hiked out to Sylvan Springs on the far side of Gibbon Meadows. It is a place that has always caught my attention as we drive by. It's near Monument Geyser basin. The best part was that once I got out there, I could see ANOTHER geyser basin, this one hidden at the foot of the mountain. I couldn't resist so I had to hike out to that one too. I didn't get back until 8:05-5 minutes after I'd requested that they call the rangers to drag my lifeless body from the wilderness. It was a little eerie hiking by myself but I'm determined to get used to it. I'm tired of waiting around for others to find their enthusiasm.
"The Valley of the Shadow" this was an eerie place to walk alone, especially after having read the hot springs chapter of "Death in Yellowstone."











The namesake spring of the Sylvan Basin. This spring boils so vigorously that it is almost a whirlpool.













Overlooking Sylvan Basin, Gibbon Meadows in the background.













A moss forest, actually only about an inch and a half high.














Dead trees in the stone terraces of Sylvan's runoff.













The beautiful pools.
I love this milky blue pool. The pool has a lovely scalloped edge.














Runoff channels.















Gibbon River, meandering through Gibbon Meadows. Isn't a gibbon a kind of ape?












Stone waterfall (dark grey) this is the hidden, second geyser basin I found after arriving at Sylvan.













At the hidden basin.














Also at the hidden basin.















Elk antler in the runoff.














Wildflower called elephanthead for obvious reasons.




















The Emerald Pool.















A fluffy marsh wildflower.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I miss you, Andi. Come home soon.