Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Peak Experiences

This is a pika. He is about hamster-sized and we found him near the summit. Pikas collect grass all summer and dry it to use as hay during the winter. Sometimes they steal hay from eachother.
Shooting star wildflowers.
Me, Jessica, Pilar and Andrew at the summit.
Summit views.
This photo is for my Mom-thanks for the backpack, I still love it.
Female bighorn sheep, looking so scruffy, we weren't sure what they were.
Cow Parsnips against the slopes of Mt. Washburn.
It's so windy near the peak that half the trees have blown away.
This painting was in the observation towere at the summit. I like it.

Wow, this blog thing doesn't work so well around here. Getting online is a major challenge. I had the last two days off. Monday I hiked to Monument Geyser Basin with Rachel and Shane-with-the-broken-arm (there are about 5 Shanes here). Stacy came too, but fell asleep by the side of the trail after the first 1/4 mile. I love Monument Geyser Basin and wish I could share the photos, but they won't upload.
Tuesday Jessica (who is now my roommate) and I went to West Yellowstone. Today Jessica, Pilar, Andrew and I climbed Mt. Washburn. It was really a nice hike. We saw:




  • TONS of tiny wildflowers


  • a pika (sort of a wild, big-eared, alpine hamster)


  • mountain goats


  • grizzly sow and two cubs


  • marmots


  • the Grand Tetons on the other side of the park


Again, I wish I could upload the photos... I guess you'll just have to wait. Everything is here, wish you were beautiful.

No comments: