Monday, June 6, 2011

Hiking to Fern Lake


Albert the Squirrel - He introduced himself after I incorrectly identified him
as an Albert's Squirrel. I chat with animals often when hiking alone...

Me, halfway up the mountain at Fern Falls.


At Fern Lake elevation 9,500 ';  finally recovering from the Texas heat. I am standing on a bridge over the
lake's outlet stream, you can't see the actual lake very well, but it was still totally frozen! I really was
looking forward to rest and maybe a little painting at the lake, but then I heard thunder, clouds gathered,
the temperature dropped and I remembered that I was four miles and 1,500' above my car - and that I
had seen cougar poop on my way up.


Ptarmigan #1 - I saw her on the way up. The ptarmigan is the smallest
member of the grouse family. These guys were on my "must see" list for
RMNP, so I was estatic to see one, let alone two!

Ptarmigan #2: This guy desperately wanted to have his picture taken. When I saw him, he jumped
onto the boulder, fanned his tail and inflated his balloons. Ptarmigans are white in the winter and
are the only bird that does not migrate away from the Alpine Zone to avoid the cold. They have
feather-lined nostrils to warm the air they breathe.

Mysterious Phenomena: I found this flower shaped hole in a boulder
on my way down. It was 3-4" across and at least 4" deep. I think the
stone was granite. Please comment with your theories on its origin.

Wild Clematis? found on vines growing trailside, please comment if you can identify...
After yesterday's unrully crowds, I was ready to get off the pavement and away from humanity. I liked the looks of the Fern Lake area on the map, several little lakes on streams dotted with waterfalls. The lower part of the trail, up to a place called The Pool was a little crowded but from then on it was just traveled enough to feel alone but not Alone. Apparently plastic bottle wielding foreigners and stone chucking little girls don't hike above 8,500 feet!

1 comment:

cass said...

Andi, I love your pictures. It looks like you are having a wonderful time "alone". I know Jeff is going to be jealous but hopefully he is learning alot. Gohan say, "I miss you mommy." He is doing and behaving well. He is staying with us. Keep taking pictures of your adventures. I will check back ofter.