Sunday, June 5, 2011

Rocky Times in RMNP

After the drive down from 12,000 feet, I decided to go to Horseshoe Park to see the waterfall at the Alluvial Fan. I stopped at a valley overlook. As I enjoyed the view a large (foreign) family swarmed over the rocks with shrieking children. As I watched, one of the mothers, chatting with another mom, casually tossed her empty water bottle to the ground. So I casually returned it to her saying, "Please don't litter in our National Parks - it is RUDE!"
I'm not sure which ticked me off more, the litterbug or the episode that followed at the waterfall. I continue on to the Alluvial Fan and walk the trail up to the fall. As I'm lining up a nice shot through the catkins on the willow, a baseball-sized rock hits my hand - hard. Before I can process what happened, another stone whizzes past my head. At that point, I snap out of it, "S%@#! STOP! WHO THREW THAT!" I look up above just in time to see a wide-eyed dad whisking his little girl away while stammering an appology.

That's the Litterbug with back turned on the left. If you
see her again be sure to point out the nearest recycle bin.

A forest of mini daisies growing on the Alluvial Fan. 

A sure sign of Spring!


Amber in the making, a jewel of sap rolls down one of the many beetle-killed trees in the park.

The waterfall where I was "stoned."
National Parks can be dangerous places, and it's not the wild animals I'm talking about.

1 comment:

Andrea Christensen said...

Hi Andi! I always read your blog (but sometimes you don't update very regularly - tisk tisk). Are you in Utah now? What are you doing in RMNP alone? Good adventures. We're sick of the snow here though, and wish it would melt!